Visa & Migration questions
Migration registration of foreign citizens
When entering the territory of the Russian Federation, each foreign citizen must fill out a migration card and have it on hand during the entire period of stay in the Russian Federation. Immediately after arriving in the Russian Federation, foreign citizens who live in MAI dormitory must submit documents for initial migration registration to the International department (room 111).
For the preparation and subsequent submission of documents to the migration department, you must provide the following documents:
- a copy of all pages of your passport (including the blank ones)
- a copy of your migration card
- Foreign citizens must keep in mind the validity of their documents.
- Foreign citizens who live at a private apartment must register for migration at their actual residence address within 7 working days from the date of arrival in the Russian Federation, and provide MAI International Department with a copy of the detachable part of the notification (room 111).
To stay on the territory of the Russian Federation, you must have the following documents on hand:
- passport with a valid visa;
- migration card with a stamp on crossing the border;
- a detachable part of the notification form on the arrival of a foreign citizen in the Russian Federation with a mark of the territorial authority of the Migration Department on registration at the place of your temporary stay/residence (the so-called "registration");
The extension of the period of a foreign citizen’s temporary stay on the territory of the Russian Federation is carried out by issuing a new multiple-entry study visa for up to 1 year.
The following application documents for a new multiple-entry visa must be submitted to MAI International Department (room 111) 30 working days before expiry of the existing visa:
- Copies of ALL pages of your passport (including the blank ones)
- Original and copy of the detachable part of the notification form on the arrival of a foreign citizen at place of stay (“registration”)
- A copy of your migration card
- 1 photo (3x4 cm)
- A paid receipt of the state fee for a multiple entry visa. You need to get the payment details in room 111.
- A copy of your training agreement, or your direction from the Ministry of Science and Higher Education of the Russian Federation
A foreign citizen from a country with a visa regime of stay, who has not submitted documents for a new visa in time, is obliged to leave the territory of Russia within the validity period of his existing visa and return to study on a new invitation.
The period of temporary stay may be extended or reduced if conditions have changed or the circumstances under which the foreign citizen was allowed to enter the Russian Federation have ceased to exist.
Completion or termination of training is the basis for reducing the period of temporary stay of the foreign citizen in the Russian Federation.